How many of us throw away the lemon peel once used the juice of a lemon? The peel of a lemon, actually has higher natural medicinal properties than the actual juice of a lemon! Lemon peels contain as much as 5 to 10 times more vitamins than the lemon juice itself. Further insightful tips on the benefits of a lemon peel.
THE POWER OF THE LEMON PEEL:
Citrus zest is full of compounds that fight cancer. When you squeeze a lemon (or peel an orange), save the skin.
Scientists at De Montfort University in the United Kingdom found that a compound in a peel called salvestrol Q40 kills an enzyme that spurs the growth of human cancer cells.
Previous research has shown that limonene, a compound found in lemon, orange, and grapefruit peel, might also decrease cancer risk.
It consists of essential enzymes, vitamins, and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin P, calcium, potassium, fiber, limonene, citric acid, polyphenol flavonoids, and salvestrol Q40, which makes this fruit rind a must for a healthy body and mind. Not only this, the citrus aroma of the lemon peel makes it an excellent ingredient for essential oils used to enhance moods.
HEALTH & BEAUTY BENEFITS OF LEMON PEEL:
- High in vitamin C and boosts the immune system, against colds and flu
- Lemon peel contains many important nutrients that can promote growth of the nails, cleans the liver, improve blood circulation helps to ear infections, capillary fragility, varicose veins.
- Health Benefits of Lemon Peel Regulates blood pressure (special for high blood pressure) Fight against cancer
- Maintain bone strength Provides high hygiene and health of the oral cavity
- Helps to reduce weight Prevents overgrowth of parasites and intestinal worms (tapeworms) in the digestive system
- Protects against fungal bacterial infections Strong anti-depressive effect
- Helps with cystitis and tumors Decrease the cholesterol levels in the body which results in maintaining good health of our hearts. This is due to the presence of polyphenol flavonoids. –
- Lemon peel is rich in citric acid which prevents such teeth and gums related problems. Which is why, instead of throwing the peel away, you eat the lemon skin.
- Lemon peel is a natural source of vitamin C and citric acid, which helps in purifying the blood vessels in the body and eliminating all the impurities present in the skin cells. This actually promotes a healthy skin.
- Lemon peel is also great for acne and pimples because it contains antioxidants which detoxifies the skin to a great extent.
GRATED LEMON SKIN AND FOOD TIPS:
Freeze the entire lemon and grate lemon skin, this is delicious to use in various salads and other foods.
Sprinkle it onto vegetable salad, vegetable soups, curry soup, sushi, fish dishes. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a Chinese dish, Italian dish, French dish, African, Indian, Japanese, Korean, or Latin American dishes, adds a delicious flavour to all! It will give an unexpectedly wonderful taste, something that you may have never tasted before in your life. Try it and you will experience for yourself, everything will certainly taste great!
Most likely, if you hear the word lemon, you only think of lemon juice and vitamin C. Not anymore. Now that you’ve learned this lemon secret, of the properties of the lemon peel!
SOME ZESTY LEMON RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE!
- ¼ cup dried nettles
- 1 frozen lemon
- boiling water
Place ¼ cup dried nettles in a quart jar. Grate frozen lemon into jar (yes, peel and all). Pour boiling water to rim. Cap and let infuse overnight.
In the morning, strain and add a touch of honey to your liking.
Sip and enjoy!
You can use part of the lemon peel to create a stronger tasting lemon flavored smoothie
1 lemon, peeled and seeded
1 banana, frozen
1 tsp stevia
1/2 cup water
3 ice cubes
Blend the lemon with the water. Add the banana, stevia, and ice and blend again. Refreshing!
ENJOY THE ZEST OF LEMONS AND IT’S HEALTH BENEFITS, HEALTHY BODY, HEALTHY MIND, HEALTHY SPIRIT!